Chef Cathie Albrecht
3hree Café, Springfield, MA
- Ingredients for Cookie Tart Crusts
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 8 oz butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- Ingredients for the Fruit Filling:
- 3 cups seasonal fruit (blueberries, raspberries, peaches, etc.)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp Chambord (or other raspberry liquor)
- Edible flowers for garnish
Cookie Tart Crusts:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, beat together shortening, butter, sugars, salt, baking powder, and vanilla. When well blended, add the egg and beat until fluffy. Whisk the flour and cornstarch together and stir.
To make the tarts, distribute the dough into small individual tart pans, pressing evenly and covering the sides. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Bake the crusts for 15-20 minutes until golden brown (tarts should still be soft to touch). Allow crusts to cool before removing. Place on serving platter until ready to use.
Remove the pits from the larger fruits and thinly slice. In a large bowl, combine all the fruit. Add the brown sugar and raspberry liqueur. Allow the mixture to sit for 2 hours, or until the fruit creates its own syrup (up to 5 or 6 hours is okay).
To serve, place each tart shell on a small dessert plate and spoon a ½ cup of fruit mixture into each tart shell. Top with fresh whipped cream and garnish with fresh viola (or any edible flower).