Chef Bryce Whittlesey
The Wheatleigh, www.wheatleigh.com, Lenox, MA
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 9 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice, fresh
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese, preferably old chatham
- 2 1/2 ounces all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cardamom seeds, cracked
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cups dry white wine
- 3 cups water
- 2 vanilla beans, split and scraped
- 1 1/4 pounds sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 10 golden Delicious apple
- 1 package puff pastry (can be purchased in frozen section of grocery store)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
Beat eggs and sugar in a mixer on high until thick and very light.
Melt the butter in a pan and turn the heat up slightly until the milk solids turn a nutty brown color. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice to stop the butter from cooking. Pour the butter through a fine mesh sieve lined with cheese cloth.
Pour into the beaten eggs; add the cheese, flour and salt and mix just to combine.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10 inch pan, pour into pan. Bake 20-30 min or until done.