Director of Marketing
Position Title: Director of Marketing
Reports to: Deputy General Manager
Category: Exempt/Full Time
Supervisees: Senior Online Coordinator, Director of On-Air Promotion
This position provides marketing and social media leadership to all of WGBY-TV departments. This position oversees promotion, research, media & public relations, program marketing, online engagement and social media, as well as general constituent communications. The Marketing Director will be responsible for creating and executing marketing and promotion activities for all of WGBY projects, services and programs at WGBY with goals of building audience, positioning the institution and deepening engagement. The Director will work with all departments to create a overall WGBY marketing effort That is innovative, forward-thinking.
Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance WGBY’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create marketing/public relations/social media strategies that will allow WGBY to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including other media.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization and work with WGBY’s leadership team to recognize opportunities and solutions.
- Manage a communications team (Senior Web Coordinator and Director of On-Air Promotions) to support the development and execution of the communications strategy.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develops staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals.
- Oversee the Marketing Department budget.
- Attend bi-weekly manager and contact meetings as well as facilitate meetings when needed
- Act as station liaison with the WGBY Board of Tribunes Marketing Committee.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications and branding plan across WGBY’s audiences for all local and national programs and initiatives in collaboration with WGBY staff members and constituents.
- Develop and oversee all of WGBY’s print communications and distribution including the monthly membership guide, marketing collateral materials (newsletters, brochures, the annual Local Content and Services Report, etc.) and electronic communications including WGBY’s website and social media; manage relationships with associated vendors.
- Oversee wgby.org and all other stations web initiatives. Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Coordinate so that new and consistent information (article links, program links, stories and events) is posted regularly
- Oversee all on-air promotion and branding including working with the Director of On-Air Promotion to create innovative on-air campaigns as well as write and approve scripts for TV and radio (radio when needed).
- Execute with web, print and on-air promotions on innovative advertising priorities and monthly marketing plan. Collaborate with membership and major giving on projects/initiatives to establish opportunities for recruiting new members. Establish and maintain community engagement opportunities.
- Act as station representative at station events and functions serving as MC when needed. Serve as spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Manage all ad buys and work with Corporate Support to manage contracts, trade agreements and fulfill requirements for client.
- Edit/write local program descriptions and enter into program data software.
- Create and maintain media relationships with local press. Write press releases as needed; maintain press section on wgby.org, and clippings archive.
- Stay informed on station activities and cooperates with all departments.
- Participate in station Membership Drives, Auctions, Special Events and other community events and/or activities assigned.
- Communicates and behaves in a way that is free from discrimination, intolerance or harassment when interacting with co-workers, colleagues and clients.
- Other reasonable related duties as assigned by the Deputy General Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree; Minimum three years of communications (public relations, media relations, advertising, web) and/or marketing experience.
- Minimum 3 year’s experience in a management role
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct reports.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Comprehensive Knowledge of traditional public relations tools and social media tools.
- Knowledge of social media to attract engagement and revenue is required
- Understanding of marketing software
- Knowledge of program data software “Protrack” a plus
- Ability to develop comprehensive level of understanding of WGBY
- Ability to multi-task efficiently
- Tolerance to last minute changes
- Excellent writing/editorial skills
- Excellent proof reading skills
- Ability to continue developing media contacts/relationships
- Demonstrated experience executing promotion plans and the ability to draft and implement strategic promotion programs within budget.
- Focused on meeting deadlines.
WGBY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS MEANT TO BE A GENERIC DESCRIPTION AND REPRESENTS THE MINIMUM JOB DUTIES AN INDIVIDUAL WILL BE REQUIRED TO PERFORM. INDIVIDUAL DEPARTMENTS WILL/CAN CUSTOMIZE JOB DESCRIPTIONS AND HOURS OF WORK TO MEET THEIR SPECIFIC NEEDS.
Please submit resumes to:
WGBY TV, 44 Hampden St., Springfield, MA 01103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.