Text Size: Small Medium Large

Season 2 Episode List

View Susan's suggested supply list

 

President Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site, Plymouth Notch, VT

 

President Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site
Plymouth Notch, Vermont

Nestled in the hills of Vermont, is a quiet, little rural village that served as the birthplace and boyhood home to the 30th President of the United States. It was here on an August night in 1923 that a vacationing vice president Coolidge received a message from Washington D.C. informing him of the death of President Warren Harding. At 2:47 am, in the old family homestead and by the light from a kerosene lamp, Calvin Coolidge was sworn in as President of the Unites States by his father, a Notary Public.

A visit to Calvin Coolidge’s homestead is a visit to the past. Here visitors and guests will find a nearly perfect example of an early 20th century Vermont town. Many of the buildings contain original furnishings including the back of the general store, which has attached to it the birthplace of Calvin Coolidge.

Calvin Coolidge Web Site: www.calvin-coolidge.org

 



Long Hollow Bison Farm, Route 9, Hadley, MA

 

Long Hollow Bison Farm
Route 9, Hadley, MA

Long Hollow Bison Farm was started in 1997 by brothers Fred and Paul Ciaglo and currently has over 60 Bison. Hoping to keep a family tradition of farming alive and wanting to share their interest in Native American culture with the general public, the brothers could think of no greater symbol than the Great American Bison.

Although big and often appearing clumsy, bison can run 35 miles an hour and are considered excellent jumpers. In fact, bison have been known to clear a six-foot fence with minimal effort. There are approximately 250,000 head of bison in North America today. Less than 20,000 of these animals reside in public herds, the rest are owned by private individuals who love and respect them for their history and heritage.
 



The Wainwright Inn, Great Barrington, MA

 

The Wainwright Inn
South Main Street, Great Barrington, MA

Originally built in 1766 by Captain Peter Ingersoll, an officer during the American Revolution, the Wainright Inn, or Troy Tavern as it was known then, was undoubtedly used by colonists to plan their participation in the siege of British troops in Boston. The house was later known as Wainwright Hall and became the home of Franklin Pope, a well known inventor, engineer, and patent attorney who is credited with co-inventing the ticker tape machine with Thomas Edison.

 



Quabbin Reservoir, Belchertown, MA

 

Quabbin Reservoir
Ware Road (Rt. 9), Belchertown, MA

The Quabbin Reservoir is one of the largest man-made public water supplies in the United States. The reservoir itself is 18 miles long, has a shoreline of 118 miles and the surface area is roughly 25,000 acres. The Reservoir was created to supply Boston with ample water and required the impoundment of the Swift River, which resulted in the taking and eventual flooding of the towns of Dana, Prescott, Greenwich and Enfield.

Construction of the Quabbin Reservoir began in 1936, filling commenced in 1939, and 7 years later in 1946, water started to flow over the Windsor Dam spillway. At the time, the 412 billion-gallon capacity made it the largest man-made reservoir in the world.

Phone: (413) 323-7221
Hours: Quabbin Visitor Center at Winsor Dam: Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm and weekends from 9:00am to 4:30pm.

 



Goodspeed Opera House, East Haddam, CT

 

Goodsped Opera House
East Haddam, CT

The Goodspeed Opera House was built in 1876 by shipping magnate William Goodspeed as a place to house his business interests and to satisfy his own personal interest in theatre. More than 183 musicals have been produced here and many have gone on to receive national recognition.

Known as the tallest wooden structure along the Connecticut River, the Goodspeed Opera House was designed to catch the attention of the once bustling river traffic. It served as a general store, office building and shipping destination for imported and domestic merchandise as well as a way to promote the interests of the East Haddam Community.

Through the years, the Opera House has under gone a series of transformations, including serving as a millitia base during World War 1. However, in 1950 the building had fallen into an incredible state of disrepair and was slated for demolition. Fortunately, a very dedicated and determined group of supporters came together and formed a foundation to rescue the building and restore it to its original glory.
 



Factories of Holyoke, MA

 

Factories of Holoke
Holyoke, Massachusetts

Holyoke was considered by many to be a natural location for a planned city. With it’s close proximity to major cities like Boston and New York add to that the ample water supply of the Connecticut River, it’s no wonder industrialist from the eastern part of the state realized it’s economic potential.

By the middle of the 19th century Holyoke became an industrial giant. More than 50 textile mills and close to 4 ½ miles of hand made canals allowed the city to thrive. Immigrants where able to find jobs and establish new lives for themselves. Textile Mills eventually gave way to the paper industry and Holyoke earned the moniker, “the Paper City.”

Today, these old factories and Mils are going through yet another revitalization. Entrepreneurs and artists are finding creative ways to establish themselves in Holyoke. Businesses like the Werehouse?, Paper City Brewery and art space like Canal Gallery are making there home’s in the old textile and paper mills.

See also: www.opensquare.com

 



Truro Vineyards of Cape Cod, MA

 

Truro Vineyards of Cape Cod
Route 6A #A, North Truro, MA

As the Cape’s first vinifera vineyard, Truro Vineyards pioneered the art of maritime grape growing. Who would have thought you could grow grapes on the Cape, but apparently the Cape’s warm ocean breeze, well drained sandy soil and extended growing season help produce grapes with intense flavor and lush character.

During the summer months, wine tastings are held in one of two places, either outside, where one can enjoy the views of the vineyards, or in a beautifully restored 1830’s farm house that contains a tasting room as well as a gift shop. Guided tours of the vineyard and winery are also available.

 



Uncle Tim's Bridge, Cape Cod, MA

 

Uncle Tim's Bridge
Commercial Street, Wellfleet, Cape Cod, MA

Surrounded by natural scenery, this wooden boardwalk follows a marsh before opening up to a small tree-covered hill. A hidden treasure - perfect for picnics or for a quiet getaway.

The part of Cape Cod farthest from the mainland is called the Outer Cape. With windswept sand dunes, pristine fresh water ponds, and pounding surf, you feel closer to nature here than anywhere else on the Cape. If you want to spend your days on nature trails and 30 miles of open beaches and enjoy fine dining at night, Wellfleet is for you!

Indian Neck Beach, one of five beaches easily accessible from Oyster Cove, can be reached by a pleasant walk along the cove. For the more ambitious, a stroll along the harbor edge at low tide leads to Uncle Tim's Bridge and the center of town. In Wellfleet, you can find shopping, art galleries, restaurants, and a real "Olde Cape Cod" experience.
 



Highland Light, North Truro, Cape Cod, MA

 

Highland Light
North Truro, Cape Cod, MA

Originally built in 1797 and often referred to as Cape Cod light, Highland Light is the oldest lighthouse on the Cape. Through the years, severe weather conditions and erosion have forced Highland light to be rebuilt and moved, but there’s no doubt about its importance and beauty to sea-faring vessels.

At the time of its initial construction, the lighthouse sat on the highest elevation in North Truro, close to 120 feet above sea level. The first illumination for the light was whale oil, followed by land oil and kerosene. Then in 1932, both the lighthouse and light began to use electricity.

Initially the structure was located some 500 feet from the edge of the bluff. However, in 1990 the building stood just over 100 feet from the edge of the cliff. In 1996, fearing more erosion would threaten the existence of this structure, a combination of federal, state and private funds where raised to move the lighthouse back some 450 feet from its original home. Highland Light stands 66 feet tall and weights close to 430 tons.

Open: May - late October
See also: www.trurohistorical.org
 



Forest Park, Springfield, MA

 

Forest Park
Springfield, MA

Forest park's beginnings date back to the year 1890 when Everett Barney, a successful businessman and entrepreneur, sold to the city, for the sum of one dollar, 109½ acres of land and the results have had a lasting effect on Springfield and the region ever since.

Home to events like the Spirit of Springfield’s Bright Nights and the Zoo in Forest Park, to locations of historic significance like the Barney mausoleum and Carriage house, this destination has something for everyone. There are tennis courts, a swimming pool, lawn bowling and shuffle board courts, and a great old ballpark.